History

1893 Karl Mack and August v. Schmidt install a seismic station at Hohenheim near Stuttgart following a recommendation by the seismological commission of Württemberg. Only the maximum amplitudes of the seismic signal were recorded.
1895 The Earthquake of the 14th april at Ljubljana was successfully recorded.
1897 The statistical office of Württemberg takes over the operation of the seismometer station at Hohenheim.
1903 The station at Hohenheim achieves supraregional importance by being admitted to the International Seismological Association at Strassburg.
1905 A new building at Hohenheim is erected and instrumentally equipped with mechanical seismographs. Their records are preserved in our archive.
1925 Karl Mack retires. The station becomes part of the metereologic department of the statistical office of Württemberg. Its name is changed to metereologic and geophysical department. Wilhelm Hiller takes care of the earthquake station.
1929 Installation of the seismometer station Stuttgart in the "Villa Reitzenstein" (now ministry of state).
1934 Metereology is moved from the statistical office to the "Reichswetterdienst". The geophysical department remains managed by Wilhelm Hiller. The Hohenheim site is given up.
1961 A WWSSN station (World Wide Network of Standard Seismographs) is installed at Stuttgart.
1962 The Stuttgart college of technology obtaines a professorship for geophysics. W. Hiller becomes professor and, in personal union, stays manager of the geophysical department at the statistical office. The institute moves to Richard-Wagner-Str. 44.
1968 Wilhelm Hiller becomes emeritus.
1969 Klaus Strobach succeeds W. Hiller at the Institute of Geophysics at the University of Stuttgart. The statistical office hands the geophysical department over to the university.
1988 Klaus Strobach becomes emeritus. His successor is Erhard Wielandt.
1997 The station becomes accessible via internet.

Have a look at some pictures of historic instruments at Stuttgart.